Tombstones in Their Eyes ‘Fear’ Review: space-psych L.A. trio conjure weird and wonderful textures on new EP. With their B-movie horror moniker and album artwork, one could be forgiven for thinking that L.A. trio Tombstones in Their Eyes were some type of doom or sludge metal group. But you’d be mistaken. Yes, the group are certainly […]
Melvins Drummer Dale Crover Talks New Solo Album ‘The Fickle Finger of Fate’–influential drummer discusses his first full-length solo album and much more in our exclusive interview. Dale Crover has had one busy year so far, and he isn’t slowing up anytime soon. In addition to The Melvins recent double-album A Walk With Love and Death, […]
Dale Crover ‘The Fickle Finger Of Fate’ Review: Melvins drummer offers eclectic affair on début solo album. For his first full-length solo album The Fickle Finger of Fate (due August 4th, via Joyful Noise Recordings) veteran Melvins drummer Dale Crover showcases his musical gifts in both expected and unexpected ways. Click here for my review […]
Dead Cross ‘Dead Cross’ Review: a stellar, punishing debut from hardcore supergroup. Hardcore supergroup Dead Cross’s self-titled début (out August 4th via Ipecac) is one of the most anticipated albums of 2017. This shouldn’t be surprising: any band featuring former Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo and vocalist (and man of a 1000 bands) Mike Patton is worthy […]
The Melvins ‘A Walk With Love and Death’ Review: sludge metal masters dial-up the weird on their first double album–half of which will appear on upcoming short film. Veteran metallers The Melvins are no strangers to the strange–their compositions combine epic sludgy riffs with madcap lyrics and sonic flourishes inspired by the likes of Captain Beefheart. […]
Austin’s Pure Luck Announces Tour Dates: Southern Rock supergroup featuring members of Butthole Surfers, Melvins and Ween announce hometown dates. Pure Luck, the Austin, TX musical collective fronted by Butthole Surfers/Melvins bassist Jeff Pinkus have just announced live dates in support of their recently released self-titled debut album. Click here for my Pure Luck review The group, which […]
Pure Luck ‘Pure Luck’ Review: alt-rock supergroup takes on deep-fried Southern Rock. “Outlaw country mixed with Southern rock, mixed with toad licking.” That unusual descriptor comes courtesy of Butthole Surfers (and Melvins member) Jeff Pinkus, describing the sound of his Austin, TX based outfit Pure Luck. The band (whose self-titled début is due June 2nd on Heavy Feather […]
Crystal Fairy ‘Crystal Fairy’ Review: supergroup featuring members of The Melvins, Le Butcherettes and At-The-Drive-In create a beautiful, bruising noise on hallucinatory self-titled début album. When the news that Le Butcherettes Teri Gender Bender, Melvins’ King Buzzo and Dale Crover and At the Drive-In/Mars Volta’s Omar Rodriguez-Lopez were joining forces for the new group Crystal […]
Teri Gender Bender Talks Debut Album From New Supergroup Crystal Fairy (Le Butcherettes, The Melvins, At-The-Drive-In)
Le Butcherettes’ frontwoman talks Crystal Fairy’s début album featuring The Melvins’ Buzz Osborne and Dale Crover and At The Drive In/Mars Volta’s Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. When Le Butcherettes supported The Melvins on their 2015 tour, vocalist Teri Gender Bender found a kinship between Melvins’ members King Buzzo and Dale Crover. This friendship would result in a split […]
Albums Revisited: Mr. Bungle’s Self-Titled Debut Turns 25: looking back at one of the strangest albums of a very strange decade on its 25th anniversary. Mr. Bungle changed my life. Mr. Bungle helped me meet my wife. Seriously. Upon meeting her through a friend of a friend, I began my best attempts at making conversation (not […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- World Destruction: 17 ’80s Songs About Nuclear War August 10, 2017
- The Church Release New Single ‘Undersea,’ Announce Album Release Date September 8, 2017
- 30 Years Later, The Lost Boys Soundtrack Remains A Hot Mess July 30, 2017
- Richard Lynn and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten Talk Sonic Transmissions 2017 August 1, 2017
- Queens of the Stone Age ‘Villains’ Review August 18, 2017
- Roselit Bone ‘Blister Steel’ Review August 18, 2017
- Concert Review: Depeche Mode at Austin360 Amphitheater September 21, 2017
- Concert Review: The Church at 3Ten ACL Live September 19, 2017
- The Horrors ‘V’ Review September 19, 2017
- Tombstones in Their Eyes ‘Fear’ Review September 18, 2017
- Chelsea Wolfe ‘Hiss Spun’ Review September 16, 2017
- Gary Numan ‘Savage (Songs from a Broken World)’ Review September 11, 2017
- SLIS: They normally skip Texas so I'm super excited!...
- Remixes Prove ‘Vital’ for Billy Idol: […] do is we knew we had certain songs where...
- A Chaos Fairy: Aww...nobody comes to New Mexico. LOL...
- SLIS: Hi Jeremy! Glad you enjoyed. I really think Season...
- Jeremy Juliano: Very interesting piece, I am going to go back and ...
- SLIS: All great picks! Can't believe those slipped my m...