Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review: Seattle duo make a rock sound as huge as their album title. Let’s face it: there aren’t that many great new hard rock bands anymore. Sure they exist (Royal Thunder is one example), but they’re sorely underrepresented in the 21st century. Well luckily for those of us who like heavy tunes slathered […]
The Darkness ‘Pinewood Smile’ Review: Brit rockers are back with a new album of their quirky brand of arena rock. U.K. rock revivalists The Darkness continue to blaze their own idiosyncratic path on Pinewood Smile, their fifth studio album (out October 6th on Cooking Vinyl), expanding on the diverse strengths of their 2015 effort Last […]
The Darkness ‘Last Of Our Kind’ Review: Hard rocking Brits return with their most diverse work to date. We should be doing things that are challenging in the sense that people can’t tell if we’re serious or not…there’s a line, and when we’re doing our best stuff, we’re walking directly along that line. So said The […]
The Darkness’s Frankie Poullain Talks New Album ‘Last Of Our Kind’: Darkness bassist discusses band’s new album, new drummer and what to expect from the group for 2015 in our exclusive interview. British rockers The Darkness are set to unleash their fourth album, Last of Our Kind on June 2nd. The album shows the group adding new tricks […]
12 Bands That Peaked With Their First Album A band’s first album presents their potential, their declaration of intent. With successive albums they improve in songwriting and performance chops, building their legacy. But eventually, most plateau or peak. Internal pressures, label issues, writer’s block, and lack of artistic hunger are just a few factors that can […]
The Darkness: Hot Cakes Album Review *England’s Glam Rock Goofballs retain their hard rock wit but still can’t top their killer début. [amazon_image id=”B008WHTFL8″ link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Hot Cakes [Explicit][/amazon_image] Only The Darkness are ridiculous and cheeky enough to call an album “Hot Cakes”. But that’s what makes them so endearing. The Darkness were sorely needed in the early 00’s. […]
The Top 40 Most Underrated Guitarists in Rock Part 1 What makes a great guitar player? Skill is important, but so is emotion. A guitar is the most versatile instrument in all of music, which range in tones, techniques and effects gives every musician their unique sonic palette. Sometimes the most innovative slip through the […]
The Darkness Concert Review and New Album Release Info: Last weekend I saw the Darkness perform at Stubb’s, and it was a hell of a show. Very glad these guys have reunited. You can check out my full review of the show on Soundcheck magazine by clicking here. The Darkness’s new album ‘Hot Cakes’ will be […]
The Top 40 Most Underrated Singers in Rock Part 1 Awhile back I did the Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock. I decided its time to tackle another list, and this time to focus on vocalists. For my money, a great rock vocalist should do any or all of the following; make you feel […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977 October 21, 2017
- I Don’t Care if Kids Today Don’t Care About ‘Blade Runner 2049’ October 13, 2017
- Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin November 8, 2017
- Albums Revisited: INXS ‘Kick’ Turns 30 October 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s November 13, 2017
- John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More November 15, 2017
- Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review December 18, 2017
- Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review December 6, 2017
- Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’ December 4, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets November 24, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets November 21, 2017
- The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review November 19, 2017
- SLIS: Those are all some good ones! Trail of Dead were a...
- r: This list is pretty tame if Hootie and the Blowfis...
- SLIS: I'm drawing a blank..but it sounds like Ultraman ...
- James: What hero would do arm motion and say "the end" ...
- SLIS: Jon,I totally agree. I haven't kept up with The...
- Jon Reade: A staggeringly good album, one of their greats. I ...