Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30: celebrating GnR’s raunchy, landmark début on its 30th anniversary. There has been a long-running theory that Nirvana killed hair metal. The story goes like this: their groundbreaking smash album Nevermind’s frayed and raw aesthetic (and the group’s shabby fashion sense) made every poodle-haired, shrill voiced […]
The Jesus and Mary Chain ‘Damage and Joy’ Review: the Reid brother’s successfully reconjure their signature sound on long-awaited reunion disc. Tryna win your interest back/But you ain’t having none of that/You’re just like a ship in a bottle/Kiss today but fuck tomorrow/I don’t know, I guess that we’re all through. That’s the opening verse from […]
30 Best Albums Turning 30 in 2017: The Best Albums of 1987–our list of the greatest releases celebrating 30th anniversaries this year. If you had to choose one year in the Reagan era for the best music, you’d be hard pressed to do better than 1987. Something clicked–the mainstream that had been over saturated with […]
Gene Loves Jezebel’s Jay Aston Discusses Crowdfunding New Album: frontman discusses PledgeMusic campaign for new Gene Loves Jezebel with Jay Aston release and much more in our exclusive interview. Gene Loves Jezebel always stood out from the pack of rock bands in the 1980’s. A unique mix of goth, glam rock and New Wave, they basically […]
John Garcia Talks New Acoustic Solo Album The Coyote Who Spoke In Tongues: ex-Kyuss frontman discusses new solo album in our exclusive interview. John Garcia is a stoner metal (or desert rock, depending on your preference) icon, fronting the landmark group Kyuss along with other acts including Unida, Slo-burn, Hermano and Vista Chino. But lately, the […]
SLIS’s 16 Best Rock Songs of 2016: the greatest songs got us through a tragic, brutal and bewildering year. Last week we released our list of the best albums of 2016: the discs that soothed and excited us during a very stressful year. But we can’t leave out best rock songs either. The individual sonic […]
SXSW 2016 Interview: The Cult’s Billy Duffy Talks New Album Hidden City The Cult are back with Hidden City, their first album in four years. The release shows the band exploring more subtle and atmospheric elements, culminating in one of their most varied efforts to date. Guitarist Billy Duffy’s simmering riffs, always a highlight of […]
MTV’s ‘120 Minutes’ Turns 30: a look back at the crown jewel of MTV programming on its 30th anniversary. Last week marked a nostalgic milestone for fans of alternative music: MTV’s 120 Minutes turned 30. The 30th anniversary flew under the radar, fitting for a show that felt like a secret society for seekers of a […]
SXSW 2016 Preview: This Year’s Must-See Bands. A definitive guide for the best acts (large at small) at the 30th annual Austin, TX Music Festival. By David Dierksen For those of you attending SXSW this year, we realize it can be an overwhelming task to decide which musical act demands your semi-undivided attention. And luckily […]
The Cult ‘Hidden City’ Review: veteran rockers return with their most subtle and nuanced effort to date on tenth studio album. It’s been four years since The Cult’s last album, 2012’s Choice of Weapon. Now the alternative/hard rock veterans return with Hidden City, an album that frontman Ian Astbury calls the end of a trilogy, alongside Weapon […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...