Swans: ‘The Great Annihilator’ (Deluxe Edition) Review: underrated 1995 album gets deluxe remastered double-vinyl reissue. To say NYC noise rock legends SWANS have had a unique career trajectory is an understatement. Whereas most bands that formed in the 80s subsist by playing their back catalogue on the nostalgia circuit, Swans have become more popular than ever. […]
‘Thor and Friends’ Review: Swans percussionist Thor Harris offers unique instrumental treats in début album from new musical trio. Thor Harris is best known as the percussionist for dark noise rock icons SWANS, currently riding high off their critically acclaimed 2016 release The Glowing Man. But the ever-busy performer switches gears on his latest project, the self-titled […]
Swans ‘The Glowing Man’ Review: Michael Gira concludes current Swans lineup with hypnotic results. NYC’s noise rock icons Swans have had an impressive career trajectory this decade. For a band that started in the early 80’s, reforming in 2005 after a 15-year hiatus, they sound as hungry, raw and exploratory as ever. Following 2012’s brilliantly […]
Moody chanteuse Chelsea Wolfe is set to release her new album Abyss on August 7th, and she’s giving listeners a taste for what’s in store with the first single Iron Moon, which you can listen to via Soundcloud below: The track pulls on all the previous strengths from 2013 album Pain Is Beauty, but amps […]
Coachella 2015 Lineup Announced: official lineup for the annual Indio, California festival. The lineup for the 2015 Coachella festival in Indio, California, has been released and…it’s a little lackluster compared to past years. Headliners include AC/DC, Interpol, Drake, Steely Dan, Jack White, Florence and The Machine, Belle and Sebastian, Alabama Shakes, alt-J, St. Vincent and […]
SLIS’s 14 Best Albums Of 2014: the best discs that got us through a somber year. With 2014 on its way out, and all major releases having given ample time to absorb, it’s time to count down the best music of the year. Here are the 14 discs from veteran and newbie acts that hit the right […]
Swans ‘To Be Kind’ Review; post-punk veterans follow-up masterwork ‘The Seer’ with similarly epic ‘To Be Kind’, which is sometimes too much of a good thing. With 2012’s ‘The Seer’, noise-rock pioneers Swans did the unthinkable; they made their breakout album 3 decades into their career. They indulged all aspects of their legacy and expunged […]
30 years in, Swans make their masterpiece with ‘The Seer’. ‘The Seer’ (Young God Records) Rare is the band that’s still at their creative peak 30 years into their career. But Swans new album ‘The Seer’ is their best work to date. Founding member Michael Gira and co. seem brimming with purpose and demonic intensity. […]
Top 40 Darkest Rock Albums Part 3 Well here we are for the third installment of the darkest rock albums. Click here to read Part 1 and Click here for Part 2 so you can see what we’ve covered thus far. As always, clicking on the album name in blue will take you to iTunes […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- Albums Revisited: The Cure’s ‘Wish’ Turns 25 April 19, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Is a Beautiful Thing April 16, 2017
- Steve Kilbey Talks New Kilbey Kennedy Album Glow and Fade, The Church and More May 31, 2017
- Cheap Trick ‘We’re All Alright’ Review June 20, 2017
- Concert Review: L.A. Guns at Texas Mist June 18, 2017
- Concert Review: The Revolution Celebrates Prince’s Legacy at ACL Live June 18, 2017
- Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review June 14, 2017
- RIP Adam West: Thanks For Making My Childhood Awesome June 10, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Faith No More’s ‘Angel Dust’ Turns 25 June 5, 2017
- SLIS: I have to admit I've never heard it! I know the n...
- KJ: Eleanor Rigby by Godhead is one of the greatest co...
- Doug: I'm with you on both of those. Lou Reed gets over...
- SLIS: Agreed Antje! It's magnificent....
- Antje Babatz: Take any album I ever owned away from me please - ...
- SLIS: Thanks Eytan! Glad you enjoyed--and that things tu...