SLIS’s 16 Best Rock Songs of 2016: the greatest songs got us through a tragic, brutal and bewildering year. Last week we released our list of the best albums of 2016: the discs that soothed and excited us during a very stressful year. But we can’t leave out best rock songs either. The individual sonic […]
SLIS’s 16 Best Albums of 2016: The best alternative, metal, and electronic releases of a brutal year. Good grief 2016 may go down in history as one of the most depressing and exhausting years ever. It was politically soul-sucking, full of heartbreak, including a ton of musical greats who we lost along the way. Luckily, […]
Suede ‘Night Thoughts’ Review: Britpop pioneers craft their most ambitious album since Dog Man Star. The last time Suede made a lofty concept album with a full-blown orchestra was 1994’s Dog Man Star. An ambitious fever dream that retrofitted glam, prog and psychedelia with a Britpop sheen, it was a deliciously overwrought affair that went somewhat unappreciated […]
Primavera Sound 2016 Lineup Announced: Barcelona held festival continues to astound with impressive roster-headliners include Radiohead, Sigur Ros and LCD Soundsystem. Primavera Sound announced their official 2016 lineup today, and as in past years, they continue to wow with a stellar array of talent. Headliners this year include Radiohead, the newly reunited LCD Soundsystem, and Sigur […]
20 Most Anticipated Rock Albums of 2016: the must have rock releases of the New Year. 2016 has arrived, and it brings with it a year full of hotly anticipated new rock albums, from veteran and contemporary alternative and metal acts. Here’s our list of the 20 releases that have us excited the most about […]
Top 21 Best Alternative Rock Compilation Albums: the most essential greatest hits, B-side collection and rarities compilations in alt-rock. This month two classic 1985 compilation albums turn 30: ‘Catching up with Depeche Mode’ (on Nov.11th) and Echo & The Bunnymen’s ‘Songs to Learn and Sing’ (Nov. 15th). That got me thinking: in some cases, greatest hits collections, non-album single comps, and b-side/rarities albums […]
Suede Announce New Album ‘Night Thoughts’: band follow-up 2013’s excellent ‘Bloodsports’ with an album featuring a full string section, and an accompanying full-length feature film. Brit-pop pioneers Suede (or The London Suede for those of us across the pond) are set to release ‘Night Thoughts‘, their seventh studio album. It will be released January 22nd, […]
Suede ‘Dog Man Star’ 20th Anniversary Box Set Release: band’s sophomore album gets deluxe multi-format reissue. Brit-pop forefathers Suede are giving their 1994 album ‘Dog Man Star‘ the deluxe treatment for its upcoming 20th anniversary. Their grandiose sophomore effort will be released in a deluxe box set edition on October 20th (the album was first released on […]
Check out our list of the 50 Best Alternative B Sides Ever Made. In the age of digital downloads, the B-side has become a quaint memory. But for those who grew up pre-internet, it was an added pleasure to get one or more bonus tracks with the purchase of a vinyl, cassette or cd single. Alternative […]
Album Review: With ‘Bloodsports’, Suede return after 13 years with their best album since 1996’s ‘Coming Up’. Brit-pop pioneers Suede (aka The London Suede, for those of us in the states) imploded in 2002. Their album ‘A New Morning‘ showed a palpable sense of burn-out. But it seems the long rest in-between albums was needed, because ‘Bloodsports‘ […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- Albums Revisited: The Cure’s ‘Wish’ Turns 25 April 19, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Is a Beautiful Thing April 16, 2017
- Steve Kilbey Talks New Kilbey Kennedy Album Glow and Fade, The Church and More May 31, 2017
- Cheap Trick ‘We’re All Alright’ Review June 20, 2017
- Concert Review: L.A. Guns at Texas Mist June 18, 2017
- Concert Review: The Revolution Celebrates Prince’s Legacy at ACL Live June 18, 2017
- Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review June 14, 2017
- RIP Adam West: Thanks For Making My Childhood Awesome June 10, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Faith No More’s ‘Angel Dust’ Turns 25 June 5, 2017
- SLIS: I have to admit I've never heard it! I know the n...
- KJ: Eleanor Rigby by Godhead is one of the greatest co...
- Doug: I'm with you on both of those. Lou Reed gets over...
- SLIS: Agreed Antje! It's magnificent....
- Antje Babatz: Take any album I ever owned away from me please - ...
- SLIS: Thanks Eytan! Glad you enjoyed--and that things tu...