Watch: The Veldt’s ‘One Day Out of Life’ Video, New EP Gets Worldwide Release: soulgaze rockers release new video from atmospheric EP. Last year I had the pleasure of reviewing ‘The Shocking Fuzz of Your Electric Fur’ Mixtape EP, the 2016 release from “soulgaze” pioneers The Veldt, who returned from a long absence to magnificent effect. […]
Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review: shoegaze icon’s dynamic and captivating reunion disc is well worth the wait. One of the most welcome musical resurgences of the past few years is the return of Shoegaze, that curious British-born genre that cultivated a small yet rabid fan base in the early 90’s. And of the most lauded bands from […]
Slowdive ‘Slowdive’ Review: reunited Brit shoegazers craft the rare comeback album that doesn’t disappoint. Shoegaze has come back with a vengeance the past few years, with new albums from My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, and The Veldt (to name but a few). And now Slowdive return with Slowdive, their first new album […]
Listen To The Veldt’s New 7″ Single ‘Symmetry/Slow Grind’: New 7-inch single will be released for Record Day 2017. Following on the success of their acclaimed 2016 EP The Shocking Fuzz of Your Electric Fur: The Drake Equation, shoegaze pioneers The Veldt return with a Symmetry/Slow Grind, a 7″ single that will be released for Record Store Day 2017 […]
My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless Turns 25: my recollection of pissing off MVB’s frontman. November 4th marks a significant date in alternative rock history: the 25 anniversary of My Bloody Valentine’s 1991 shoegaze epic Loveless. Click here to see where Loveless ranks on my list of best 1991 albums At this point it’s hard to give any more insight […]
True Widow ‘Avvolgere’ Review: Texas Stonegazers craft their finest effort to date. Dallas, TX’s True Widow are experts at creating a sound that’s not easy to define…so much so that they came up with their own genre: stonegaze, splitting the difference between stoner rock and shoegaze. And while their new album Avvolgere (out 9/23 via Relapse Records) may […]
Music Video Premiere: Sounds of Sputnik ‘Light Stream’ Featuring Ummagma–atmospheric video showcases shoegaze collaboration. May 16th will see the re-release of ‘New Born,’ the début album from Russia’s Sounds of Sputnik. And to mark the release (on Moon Sounds Records), the group have filmed a video for ‘Light Stream,’ their collaboration with Ukraine by way […]
Levitation 2016 Kickoff Party Review: Chelsea Wolfe, The Veldt: a silver lining to a cancelled festival. Downtown Austin was filled with many sad, bewildered faces last Thursday evening. The unexpected announcement that Levitation 2016 was cancelled due to bad weather reverberated throughout the city. While all festival attendees were guaranteed refunds, for those traveling from […]
Lush ‘Blind Spot’ EP Review: 90’s Shoegazers roar back to life on accomplished EP. The past few years have seen a host of 90’s shoegaze acts reuniting, but Lush’s comeback was one of the most unexpected. The London-based band folded after drummer Chris Acland’s tragic suicide in 1996, with former members Miki Berenyi, Emma Anderson […]
M83 ‘Junk’ Review Anthony Gonzales return with an album that skirts the line between irony and artistic ambition. Or something like that. M83 have charted their own unique musical course: be it digital shoegaze (Before The Dawn Heals Us), sublime New Wave (Saturdays=Youth) or their genre straddling double album smash Hurry Up We’re Dreaming. And now the Anthony Gonzales-led […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...