William Patrick Corgan ‘Ogilala’ Review: the artist formerly known as Billy gets minimalist on new Rick Rubin produced LP. It hasn’t been easy to be a Billy Corgan fan in recent years (or let’s face it, for longer than that). Whether it’s his blistering critiques on his peers, indulging in conspiracy theories with Alex Jones […]
Albums Revisited: The Cult’s ‘Electric’ Turns 30. a look back at why The Cult’s breakthrough album set the stage for heavy alternative rock and the decline of hair metal. Note: this article was originally published in 2013: it has since been updated. Earlier this week I got a chance to see The Cult at ACL […]
Album Review: Black Sabbath ’13’; Not bad for a bunch of old geezers… It seemed like the new album ‘13‘ from Black Sabbath was a cursed affair, doomed like it’s unlucky number of a title. Tony Iommi was stricken with cancer, Ozzy relapsed, and Drummer Bill Ward quit the band in a huff over money disputes. […]
Black Sabbath are allowing fans a chance to stream their new album ‘13‘ on iTunes for free, ahead of its official release next week on June 11th. You can check out the full stream by clicking here. Important: you need to click the ‘view in iTunes‘ button next to the band name to hear the […]
Movie Review: Dave Grohl’s documentary “Sound City”, is a love letter to an iconic music studio and organic musicianship. Alt-rock icon Dave Grohl recounts Nirvana’s recording studio sessions for Nevermind in his new documentary (and directorial début) Sound City. After hearing all the hype about the legendary studio, his first reaction was underwhelming: “The place […]
Beastie Boys Adam Yauch Dies at 47 Adam Yauch , the cofounder of the legendary hip-hop act the Beastie Boys, passed away today after losing his struggle with cancer. He was 47. Known better by his stage name MCA, Yauch’s gravelly voice was the icing on the cake for many Beastie’s classics, perfectly […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977 October 21, 2017
- I Don’t Care if Kids Today Don’t Care About ‘Blade Runner 2049’ October 13, 2017
- Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin November 8, 2017
- Albums Revisited: INXS ‘Kick’ Turns 30 October 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s November 13, 2017
- John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More November 15, 2017
- Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review December 18, 2017
- Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review December 6, 2017
- Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’ December 4, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets November 24, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets November 21, 2017
- The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review November 19, 2017
- SLIS: Those are all some good ones! Trail of Dead were a...
- r: This list is pretty tame if Hootie and the Blowfis...
- SLIS: I'm drawing a blank..but it sounds like Ultraman ...
- James: What hero would do arm motion and say "the end" ...
- SLIS: Jon,I totally agree. I haven't kept up with The...
- Jon Reade: A staggeringly good album, one of their greats. I ...