Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review: veteran alternative rockers return with first album of new material in 20 years. After a successful Pledge Music campaign, Gene Loves Jezebel (known as Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel in the U.S.)have emerged with Dance Underwater (out June 30th via Westworld Records) the group’s first album of new material since […]
Leo Abrahams ‘Daylight’ Review (Lo Recordings): producer/guitarist fifth album is elegant and sleek electronica featuring contributions from Warpaint’s Stella Mozgawa and ambient music icon Brian Eno. Leo Abrahams isn’t a household name, but fans of alternative, ambient and electronic music have surely heard his work. the producer/guitarist has lent his touch to artists as varied as Pulp, Brian […]
Pulp’s ‘Different Class’ Turns 20: a look back at one of Brit-pop’s best albums on its 20th anniversary-from a band who came late to the party. Although I grew up in Texas, I’ve been an anglophile as long as I can remember-always fascinated by life across the pond. Music fueled that fire: high school started my […]
Watch ‘Pulp: A Film About Life Death And Supermarkets’ Trailer: documentary recounts band’s final 2012 performance in their hometown of Sheffield, England. American fans of Brit-pop kings Pulp take notice: the band’s documentary ‘Pulp: A Film About Life Death And Supermarkets Trailer’ is being screened at a handful of U.S. cities starting this month and running […]
Jarvis Cocker To Speak At SXSW 2014: Britpop frontman to lecture about the craft of songwriting. 2014 SXSW Attendees who consider themselves Britpop fans will be might excited by this announcement; Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker will be giving a keynote speech at 2014 SXSW Music Conference. Cocker will be discussing his formidable lyrical and songwriting […]
Top 40 darkest rock albums Part 2 Off we go with the 2nd installment of my list of the darkest albums ever made. Click here to read Part 1 if you haven’t already, so you can see what you’ve missed. If you want to preview or purchase any of the entries, clicking on the album name […]
The Ultimate Rock Wedding Playlist *Before you check out this list, you might want to read my instructions on how to build your wedding playlist so that you have everything flow smoothly regarding timing out the selections, etc. Are you stuck for ideas and need some rocking song selections to give your wedding festivities a little […]
The Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock It’s easy to pinpoint your favorite vocalists. Lung power, pitch and emotion make identification easy. And not every song needs great lyrics. There are plenty of great songs where wordplay is negligible at best. But when you can find a song whose words hit you deeply, you’re […]
Watch Pulp Play at Coachella 2012: Pulp played a stellar set last night at Coachella. For those Britpop fans not able to make the trek to the California desert, we’re in luck. The fine folks at the festival had a live feed last night, and the full set is still available on YouTube (at least […]
This past Christmas I got 2 gifts that were at the top of my Amazon wish list: The landmark albums by The Smashing Pumpkins, Gish and Siamese Dream, in their remastered deluxe edition formats. Upon opening the box sets, looking at all the postcard style images from the original album art, the lengthy liner notes, […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- World Destruction: 17 ’80s Songs About Nuclear War August 10, 2017
- 30 Years Later, The Lost Boys Soundtrack Remains A Hot Mess July 30, 2017
- The Church Release New Single ‘Undersea,’ Announce Album Release Date September 8, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- Richard Lynn and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten Talk Sonic Transmissions 2017 August 1, 2017
- Concert Review: Dead Cross at Emo’s, Austin August 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Depeche Mode at Austin360 Amphitheater September 21, 2017
- Concert Review: The Church at 3Ten ACL Live September 19, 2017
- The Horrors ‘V’ Review September 19, 2017
- Tombstones in Their Eyes ‘Fear’ Review September 18, 2017
- Chelsea Wolfe ‘Hiss Spun’ Review September 16, 2017
- Gary Numan ‘Savage (Songs from a Broken World)’ Review September 11, 2017
- SLIS: They normally skip Texas so I'm super excited!...
- Remixes Prove ‘Vital’ for Billy Idol: […] do is we knew we had certain songs where...
- A Chaos Fairy: Aww...nobody comes to New Mexico. LOL...
- SLIS: Hi Jeremy! Glad you enjoyed. I really think Season...
- Jeremy Juliano: Very interesting piece, I am going to go back and ...
- SLIS: All great picks! Can't believe those slipped my m...