Roselit Bone ‘Blister Steel’ Review: contributor David Dierksen dives into Portland group’s Gothic Americana infused sophomore album. By David Dierksen Attempting a simple sonic description of Blister Steel, the newest release from Portland collective Roselit Bone, is almost committing a disservice to the music, akin to describing a piece of abstract art by talking about […]
SLIS’s 16 Best Albums of 2016: The best alternative, metal, and electronic releases of a brutal year. Good grief 2016 may go down in history as one of the most depressing and exhausting years ever. It was politically soul-sucking, full of heartbreak, including a ton of musical greats who we lost along the way. Luckily, […]
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds ‘Skeleton Tree’ Review: a dark yet beautiful reflection on tragedy as only Nick Cave could produce. Last year Nick Cave went through what any parent fears the most: the loss of a child. This happened in the midst of recording Skeleton Tree, his latest album with veteran outfit The […]
Stream 2013 Coachella Festival on YouTube, starting tonight. It’s that time of year again! The 2013 installment of the Coachella Music festival in Indio, California kicks off tonight. For those of you (like myself) who aren’t fortunate enough to be rocking out in the desert, we’re all in luck as you’ll be able to stream […]
Why am I not covering SXSW this year? Pick a reason…I have several. Every year I get the same anxiety pangs about SXSW. Even more so now that I’m a music blogger. Yet I haven’t checked out the festival since wayyyyyy back in 2000. Okay, last year I did catch the free SXSW Cult show, […]
Album Review: Nick Cave ‘Push The Sky Away’. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds new album is navel gazing, world-weary dread at it’s finest. After two great sleazy slabs of swamp rock with Grinderman, Nick Cave is back with The Bad Seeds. But it’s minus two long-standing members (Blixa Bargeld and Mick Harvey). Multi-instrumentalist Warren Ellis is […]
Stream New Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Album ‘Push The Sky Away‘ in full via The Guardian. Exciting news for Nick Cave fans; the singer and lyricist extraordinaire will be releasing a new album with his backing the band The Bad Seeds next Tuesday. It’s the band’s first release since ‘Dig Lazarus Dig‘ in 2008. The […]
Coachella officially release their 2013 lineup and it’s as impressively diverse as past rosters. The California festival will be quite Brit heavy; headliners will include Brit-pop legends Blur, Manchester band The Stone Roses, and other English acts include The XX and New Order (check out my recent reviews of The XX’s Coexist and New Order’s Lost Sirens of both […]
The 30 Most Underrated Movies Of All Time Part 1 What makes a movie underrated? Well, we live in an era where a film lives and dies by its opening weekend box office. Spectacle often overrules substance which means films more left of center have trouble competing with blockbusters. A film can also get screwed by […]
Top 40 darkest rock albums Part 2 Off we go with the 2nd installment of my list of the darkest albums ever made. Click here to read Part 1 if you haven’t already, so you can see what you’ve missed. If you want to preview or purchase any of the entries, clicking on the album name […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- World Destruction: 17 ’80s Songs About Nuclear War August 10, 2017
- The Church Release New Single ‘Undersea,’ Announce Album Release Date September 8, 2017
- 30 Years Later, The Lost Boys Soundtrack Remains A Hot Mess July 30, 2017
- Richard Lynn and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten Talk Sonic Transmissions 2017 August 1, 2017
- Queens of the Stone Age ‘Villains’ Review August 18, 2017
- Roselit Bone ‘Blister Steel’ Review August 18, 2017
- Concert Review: Depeche Mode at Austin360 Amphitheater September 21, 2017
- Concert Review: The Church at 3Ten ACL Live September 19, 2017
- The Horrors ‘V’ Review September 19, 2017
- Tombstones in Their Eyes ‘Fear’ Review September 18, 2017
- Chelsea Wolfe ‘Hiss Spun’ Review September 16, 2017
- Gary Numan ‘Savage (Songs from a Broken World)’ Review September 11, 2017
- SLIS: They normally skip Texas so I'm super excited!...
- Remixes Prove ‘Vital’ for Billy Idol: […] do is we knew we had certain songs where...
- A Chaos Fairy: Aww...nobody comes to New Mexico. LOL...
- SLIS: Hi Jeremy! Glad you enjoyed. I really think Season...
- Jeremy Juliano: Very interesting piece, I am going to go back and ...
- SLIS: All great picks! Can't believe those slipped my m...