Peter Hook and The Light Live Album Series Review: former New Order and Joy Division bassist revisits his past in blazing concert releases. When Peter Hook left New Order in 2013, it felt like the end of an era: his melodic, unorthodox bass-playing was in many ways their most definitive element–how could the band survive […]
Peter Hook and The Light Give Details For Live Album Series: Bassist announces tracklists for four concert albums featuring New Order and Joy Division material. Iconic New Order and Joy Division bassist Peter Hook is set to release four-albums of concert recordings on May 5th. The releases (available on CD and for digital download), features Hook and his […]
Primal Scream ‘Chaosmosis’ Review: Scottish iconoclasts return with a slick electro-pop makeover. Primal Scream never sit still for long. Their discography shows the Bobby Gillespie led outfit veering seamlessly from acid-house (Screamadelica) to roots rock (Give Out But Don’t Give Up) and all things in-between (XTRMNR, Vanishing Point). 2013’s More Light saw them refocus on […]
Top 21 Best Alternative Rock Compilation Albums: the most essential greatest hits, B-side collection and rarities compilations in alt-rock. This month two classic 1985 compilation albums turn 30: ‘Catching up with Depeche Mode’ (on Nov.11th) and Echo & The Bunnymen’s ‘Songs to Learn and Sing’ (Nov. 15th). That got me thinking: in some cases, greatest hits collections, non-album single comps, and b-side/rarities albums […]
Listen to New Order Song ‘Plastic’ From New Album: Second Single From ‘Music Complete’ is a club-ready anthem. New Order have just released ‘Plastic’, the second single from their upcoming album ‘Music Complete’ (due out Sept. 25th on Mute Records.) And if their début single ‘Restless’ sounded, well, a tad weak, but ‘Plastic’ (mixed by […]
Joy Division’s Closer Turns 35: the band’s gloomy 1980 swan song still packs an emotional wallop. On July 18th, Closer, Joy Division’s sophomore (and final) studio album celebrates its 35th anniversary. It feels strange to think that an album so influential and contemporary has been around for so long. But then again I can’t believe […]
New Order’s ‘Music Complete’ To Feature Iggy Pop and Brandon Flowers: band ready their first studio album since 2005’s ‘When The Sirens’ Call’. New Order’s upcoming release Music Complete may find them minus founding member and bassist Peter Hook, but they’re bringing in reinforcements to bolster fan morale. The new album (set for release September 25th […]
New Order Sign To Mute Records For New Album Release: band ditches one iconic alternative record label for another. New Order have been working on new music, and have debuted some new songs live. And they announced on Tuesday that they will release a forthcoming album through Mute Records, a label formed in 1978, made famous for synth-pop acts […]
Watch the Lollapalooza 2013 lineup on YouTube all weekend. It’s finally here; the 2013 Lollapalooza lineup kicked off last night at Chicago’s Grant Park. For those too broke or distant to check out the festival, I feel your pain. But all is not lost; YouTube will be streaming the entire festival all weekend long. Click […]
Poll Results: Top 10 Alternative Rock Bassists As voted for by you! The results for our Best Alternative Rock Bassists Poll are in! I’ve compiled a list of the Top 10. There were several ties; entries 10-8 were tied at 3%, 7-6 at 4% and 5-4 at 5%. For tied entries I listed in reverse alphabetical […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...