Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review: shoegaze icon’s dynamic and captivating reunion disc is well worth the wait. One of the most welcome musical resurgences of the past few years is the return of Shoegaze, that curious British-born genre that cultivated a small yet rabid fan base in the early 90’s. And of the most lauded bands from […]
Slowdive ‘Slowdive’ Review: reunited Brit shoegazers craft the rare comeback album that doesn’t disappoint. Shoegaze has come back with a vengeance the past few years, with new albums from My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, and The Veldt (to name but a few). And now Slowdive return with Slowdive, their first new album […]
My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless Turns 25: my recollection of pissing off MVB’s frontman. November 4th marks a significant date in alternative rock history: the 25 anniversary of My Bloody Valentine’s 1991 shoegaze epic Loveless. Click here to see where Loveless ranks on my list of best 1991 albums At this point it’s hard to give any more insight […]
Creation Records, the iconic label responsible for breaking The Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Oasis and shoegaze at large to the masses, unveiled a free gift to devotees of their artist roster. ‘Creation Records: Live in London 1987 to 1992′ contains a bevy of live bootlegs from groups like Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, […]
‘Revolution The Shoegaze Revival’ is a free compilation showcasing 30 international acts inspired by genre forefathers. There’s no mistaking that 90’s nostalgia has brought back the shoegaze genre in a big way. With the return of veteran groups like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Swervedriver, and most recently Ride, longtime fans and newbies are rejoicing in the […]
The Cush ‘Transcendental Heat Wave’ Review: Forth Worth psych-rockers take listeners on a trippy voyage to 90’s shoegaze and beyond. The Cush may hail from the Lone Star State, but their sonic pedigree hearkens to the best elements of British alt-rock of the 90’s.That sound is front and center on their stellar new album Transcendental Heat […]
Upside Down The Creation Records Story Review. Rock doc revisits the Shoegaze, Acid-house and Britpop scenes through the prism of the record label that broke them all. I really couldn’t understand what he was saying but he was clearly enthusiastic. So says Post-punk icon Bob Mould while discussing Alan McGee, the drug crazed, often unintelligible […]
Album Review: Primal Scream make their strongest album since 2002’s ‘Evil Heat’ with ‘More Light’. There are few bands more erratic than Scottish alt-rock band Primal Scream. For every strong effort (Vanishing Point, XTRMNR, Evil Heat), there are moments that fall flat (Give Out, But Don’t Give Up, Riot City Blues). For whatever reason, the […]
Album Review: 21 years after “Loveless”, My Bloody Valentine release their new album ‘MBV’. Does it live up to its predecessor? With little warning, My Bloody Valentine released their new album MBV (or ‘m b v‘, officially) on their website, causing a flurry of anticipatory internet chatter and server crashes. But every fan had the same concern: how […]
My Bloody Valentine Release New Album “MBV”, their first new album in 22 years. (Yes, this is actually happening). I reported back in December that bandleader Kevin Shields‘ had announced that his band My Bloody Valentine had finished recording a new album. This was greeted by fans with great suspicion given their last album, the […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...