For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad: Soundgarden frontman’s death at 52 hits a tragic, yet familiar, nerve. I did not want to wake up hearing that Chris Cornell, one of the best singers of my generation has died. It didn’t seem real at first–but these things never do. It’s become a chilling, […]
Albums Revisited: Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ Turns 25: celebrating Nirvana’s generation defining album on its 25th anniversary. I’ll never forget the fall of 1991. I had recently transferred to a new college. It was out-of-state and I didn’t know a soul. It was terrifying, but also liberating: I was far away from my folks and anyone who […]
Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck Review: director Brett Morgan redefines the rock documentary with stirring results. Most rock documentaries about fallen musicians follow a standard template: talking head interviews on said person’s influence, and torrid stories of decadence and tragic decline. But it often feels incomplete due to second hand accounts. The new HBO documentary Kurt Cobain: […]
April 5th, 2015 marked the 13th anniversary of the death of Alice in Chains frontman Layne Staley. The singer passed away in 2002 after battling heroin addiction. Eerily, fellow Seattle grunge icon Kurt Cobain would take his own life on that same date in 1994. But while Nirvana are still seen as alternative icons, Alice in […]
Albums Revisited: Nirvana’s ‘Bleach’ Turns 25; Grunge icons début album celebrates 25th anniversary on June 15th. When Nirvana exploded into fame with their break-through 90’s album ‘Nevermind‘, it felt to many like the band came out of nowhere. But in truth they’d been active since the late 80’s. But their first album ‘Bleach‘ was a commercial dud, […]
April 10th is Nirvana Day! Wha?? Nirvana has been defunct since 1994, but 2014 is going to be a busy year for them. Or at least April will be. On April 10th, the Seattle grunge legends will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. And on that same date, Hoquiam, Washington will […]
Its been 23 years since Kurt Cobain’s suicide. Why does it still sting? April 5th, 2017 marked a grim milestone; it’s been 23 years since Kurt Cobain’s suicide. I didn’t think much about it at first. That was a very long time ago and it’s a pretty grim reminder. But then I realize given the […]
Is the concept of selling out past its sell by date? Recently I saw a Gucci ad which uses Depeche Mode’s ‘Strangelove’ in its campaign ad. And during the Super Bowl, millions heard the mash-up of the Cult’s ‘She Sells Sanctuary” and Flo-Rida’s “Good Feeling” during a Miller Lite ad. Most people in my age […]
The Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock It’s easy to pinpoint your favorite vocalists. Lung power, pitch and emotion make identification easy. And not every song needs great lyrics. There are plenty of great songs where wordplay is negligible at best. But when you can find a song whose words hit you deeply, you’re […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...