SLIS’s 16 Best Albums of 2016: The best alternative, metal, and electronic releases of a brutal year. Good grief 2016 may go down in history as one of the most depressing and exhausting years ever. It was politically soul-sucking, full of heartbreak, including a ton of musical greats who we lost along the way. Luckily, […]
Director Mike Schiff Talks New Documentary ‘The History of Metal and Horror’: filmmaker discusses upcoming doc featuring interviews with genre heavyweights. If you’re into heavy metal and horror music, odds are you’re aware of the upcoming documentary The History of Metal and Horror…and for those who aren’t, listen up: the film will cover why heavy […]
Confrontational ‘Kingdom of Night’ Review: some spooky tunes perfect for your 2016 Halloween festivities. October is the month we all should indulge in our darker side. And along with a healthy diet of horror movies, there’s also plenty of music to go along with your trick of treating. And there are two recent releases that […]
Richard Christy Talks New Charred Walls of The Damned Album ‘Creatures Watching Over the Dead’: veteran metal drummer discusses latest release in exclusive interview. September 23rd will see the release of Creatures Watching Over The Dead (Metal Blade Records), the third studio album from metal supergroup Charred Walls of The Damned. The group is the brainchild […]
11 Soundtracks Fans of the ‘Stranger Things’ Score Should Hear: Love the soundtrack to Netflix’s sci-fi/horror hit? Here’s eleven more synth-driven scores you should check out next. It’s safe to say that Stranger Things is the pop-culture phenomenon of the year. The Netflix original series (created by identical twin creative team The Duffer Brothers) is a […]
Movies Revisited: ‘Big Trouble In Little China’ Turns 30: Celebrating John Carpenter’s oddball martial arts opus on its 30th anniversary. When some wild-eyed eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the bar-room wall, and he looks ya crooked in the eye and he asks you if you’ve […]
Primavera Sound 2016 Lineup Announced: Barcelona held festival continues to astound with impressive roster-headliners include Radiohead, Sigur Ros and LCD Soundsystem. Primavera Sound announced their official 2016 lineup today, and as in past years, they continue to wow with a stellar array of talent. Headliners this year include Radiohead, the newly reunited LCD Soundsystem, and Sigur […]
SLIS’s 15 Best Rock Albums of 2015: the best metal and alternative rock albums of the year. Last week I covered the 25 best rock songs of 2015, and now it’s time to celebrate the best albums of the year. As always I pride myself on sticking to rock oriented releases in a sea of pop nonsense, […]
Confrontational ‘A Dance of Shadows’ Review: Italian synth act conjure 80’s neon-noir and horror soundscapes on début album. If I had to pick the most interesting musical genre of the past few years, Synthwave would definitely top the list. Growing up on a steady diet of horror films with slick synth soundtracks, I enjoy seeing […]
John Carpenter ‘Lost Themes’ Review: he’s all out of bubblegum, because this album kicks ass. When filmmaker/composer John Carpenter announced his new album Lost Themes, one assumed it contained unused music from his impressive filmography. When he later clarified it’s actually his first album of non film-related music, it was an equally exciting proposition. But it also begged the […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- Albums Revisited: The Cure’s ‘Wish’ Turns 25 April 19, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Is a Beautiful Thing April 16, 2017
- Steve Kilbey Talks New Kilbey Kennedy Album Glow and Fade, The Church and More May 31, 2017
- Cheap Trick ‘We’re All Alright’ Review June 20, 2017
- Concert Review: L.A. Guns at Texas Mist June 18, 2017
- Concert Review: The Revolution Celebrates Prince’s Legacy at ACL Live June 18, 2017
- Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review June 14, 2017
- RIP Adam West: Thanks For Making My Childhood Awesome June 10, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Faith No More’s ‘Angel Dust’ Turns 25 June 5, 2017
- SLIS: I have to admit I've never heard it! I know the n...
- KJ: Eleanor Rigby by Godhead is one of the greatest co...
- Doug: I'm with you on both of those. Lou Reed gets over...
- SLIS: Agreed Antje! It's magnificent....
- Antje Babatz: Take any album I ever owned away from me please - ...
- SLIS: Thanks Eytan! Glad you enjoyed--and that things tu...