Review: Failure Takes Fans on a Trip to ‘Fantastic Planet’ at Mohawk Austin: space rockers perform iconic 1996 album in its entirety. Failure’s 1996 album Fantastic Planet is an opus that’s grown legendary with time. While overlooked upon its release, its dense, sonic layers and engaging arrangements has cultivated quite the cult following. This has served the L.A. trio […]
Albums Revisited: Failure’s ‘Fantastic Planet’ Turns 20: celebrating one of the most underrated alternative albums of the 90s. August 13, 2016 marks the 20th anniversary of Fantastic Planet, the 1996 album from L.A. space rock gods Failure. And if ever there was an album deserving of a tribute and reappraisal, this is it. In an decade full […]
SLIS’s 15 Best Rock Albums of 2015: the best metal and alternative rock albums of the year. Last week I covered the 25 best rock songs of 2015, and now it’s time to celebrate the best albums of the year. As always I pride myself on sticking to rock oriented releases in a sea of pop nonsense, […]
SLIS’s 25 Best Rock Songs of 2015: counting down the most rocking tunes of the year. It’s just a few weeks until we say goodbye to 2015 (really?), so that means its time to break our best-of lists, starting off with the best rock tracks of the year. Here’s my favorite 25 from the worlds of alternative, […]
Concert Review: Failure at Emo’s-L.A. alt-rock sonic architects wow loyal fans at Austin show. Just a few months after their blazing SXSW 2015 set, space rock titans Failure returned to Austin last night. Following a set by art-noise rockers Queen Kwong (featuring Limp Bizkit guitarist Wes Borland…although you’d never guess that with their alt-indie aesthetic), Failure […]
Failure’s Greg Edwards Talks New Album The Heart Is A Monster: The lyricist/guitarist/bassist discusses the concept and execution of band’s first album since 1996’s Fantastic Planet. One of the most eagerly anticipated rock albums of 2015 is The Heart Is A Monster (out June 30th via INgrooves) from iconic L.A. space-rockers Failure, who reunited last year for the successful […]
Failure ‘The Heart Is A Monster’ Review: reunited space-rockers create an immersive effort that demands your full attention. Failure were a band ahead of their time: ambitious alt-rockers whose immersive soundscapes and unconventional song structures proved too challenging for those lost in grunge or Britpop in the mid-90’s. They fell through the cracks due to record label […]
Failure SXSW 2015 Concert Review at Yahoo’s Brazos Hall: reunited space rockers create sonic euphoria on a rainy Austin evening. Heading into the Yahoo SXSW Showcase at Brazos Hall, felt like going into a time machine. I went it in the year 2015, and emerged back in the mid-1990’s. This was fitting, given headlining space-rock kings […]
SXSW 2015 is almost upon us, and like always, it can be a bit hectic planning out your music schedule. How to choose between new buzz bands, revered veteran acts and cult oddities? Well I’m here to help, with a list focused on pleasing lovers of alternative rock, metal and psychedelia. So without further ado, here […]
SLIS’s 30 Best Rock Songs of 2014: the best rock, alternative and metal tunes of the year. Last week I revealed my list of best 2014 albums. But it’s only fair to do a list of best songs too. There were great singles released this year, and given not all albums are created equal, I’ve […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- Albums Revisited: The Cure’s ‘Wish’ Turns 25 April 19, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Is a Beautiful Thing April 16, 2017
- Steve Kilbey Talks New Kilbey Kennedy Album Glow and Fade, The Church and More May 31, 2017
- Cheap Trick ‘We’re All Alright’ Review June 20, 2017
- Concert Review: L.A. Guns at Texas Mist June 18, 2017
- Concert Review: The Revolution Celebrates Prince’s Legacy at ACL Live June 18, 2017
- Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review June 14, 2017
- RIP Adam West: Thanks For Making My Childhood Awesome June 10, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Faith No More’s ‘Angel Dust’ Turns 25 June 5, 2017
- SLIS: I have to admit I've never heard it! I know the n...
- KJ: Eleanor Rigby by Godhead is one of the greatest co...
- Doug: I'm with you on both of those. Lou Reed gets over...
- SLIS: Agreed Antje! It's magnificent....
- Antje Babatz: Take any album I ever owned away from me please - ...
- SLIS: Thanks Eytan! Glad you enjoyed--and that things tu...