The Black Watch ‘The Gospel According to John’ Review: one of alt-rocks best kept musical secrets is back, and its time to pay attention. As a music obsessive of the Gen-X persuasion, I pride myself on an extensive knowledge of amazing, under-the-radar alternative and indie bands from my youth. I tend to favor the underrated […]
The Foreign Resort ‘She is Lost’ Review: review of Danish neo-post punkers beguiling new single. Denmark’s The Foreign Resort are a 21st century act with an unashamedly retro sound–drawing inspiration from 80’s New Wave, Goth and Post-punk. And they pull it off with aplomb, as witnessed on their new single She is Lost–a heady mix […]
Riot Fest 2015 Lineup Revealed: this year’s formidable lineup includes Faith No More, Billy Idol, Iggy Pop and….oh just read the whole piece. There’s a LOT. Riot Fest has just announced their official 2015 lineups for Chicago, Denver, and Toronto. And just as in past years, they have proven superior to every festival held in […]
Echo and the Bunnymen ‘Meteorites’ Review; Youth produced ‘Meteorites’ is a solid, if unremarkable, group of songs. Echo and the Bunnymen vocalist Ian McCullough remains one of the most immodest frontmen in rock, so when he declares that their new album ‘Meteorites’ is “more edgy than anything I’ve ever done”, you’re allowed an eye roll or two. […]
‘Mad World’ Book Review: New Wave fanatics will eat up all the nostalgic tidbits in ‘Mad World: An Oral History of New Wave Artists and Songs That Defined the 1980s’ Both obsessive and casual 1980’s New Wave fans will have much to enjoy with the new book ‘Mad World’ by 80’s veteran music journalists Lori Majewski and Jonathan Bernstein. […]
Record Store Day 2014 Releases Revealed: Expect a cavalcade of sonic goodies to arrive on April 10th. Here’s my list of best picks. The official release list for Record Store Day 2014 is out, and it is chock full of great stuff. So much so that it’s pretty overwhelming. Click here for the full U.S. […]
RIP Ray Manzarek; Enjoy in remembrance our mix of some of his best tracks with The Doors, his solo work, collaborations, and covers. In a year that’s already seen many musical titans pass, we’ve lost another legend, and that’s the late Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek, who passed away from cancer on May 20th at 74 […]
The Top 40 Most Underrated Guitarists in Rock Part 1 What makes a great guitar player? Skill is important, but so is emotion. A guitar is the most versatile instrument in all of music, which range in tones, techniques and effects gives every musician their unique sonic palette. Sometimes the most innovative slip through the […]
The Top 40 Most Underrated Singers in Rock Part 1 Awhile back I did the Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock. I decided its time to tackle another list, and this time to focus on vocalists. For my money, a great rock vocalist should do any or all of the following; make you feel […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977 October 21, 2017
- I Don’t Care if Kids Today Don’t Care About ‘Blade Runner 2049’ October 13, 2017
- Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin November 8, 2017
- Albums Revisited: INXS ‘Kick’ Turns 30 October 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s November 13, 2017
- John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More November 15, 2017
- Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review December 18, 2017
- Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review December 6, 2017
- Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’ December 4, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets November 24, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets November 21, 2017
- The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review November 19, 2017
- SLIS: Those are all some good ones! Trail of Dead were a...
- r: This list is pretty tame if Hootie and the Blowfis...
- SLIS: I'm drawing a blank..but it sounds like Ultraman ...
- James: What hero would do arm motion and say "the end" ...
- SLIS: Jon,I totally agree. I haven't kept up with The...
- Jon Reade: A staggeringly good album, one of their greats. I ...