Concert Review: Deftones at Austin360 Amphitheater: San Diego metallers slay on a balmy night in Austin, TX. Just a little year over a year since their triumphant 2016 set at SXSW, San Diego’s Deftones returned to Austin last night–making a stop on their 2017 tour with Rise Against and Thrice. After co-headliners Rise Against finished their (with vocalist Tim […]
20 Albums Turning 20 in 2017: the best alternative releases of 1997 The alternative rock landscape had changed by the late 90s. Grunge was pretty much dead, no longer considered a viable commercial option for record labels. Nirvana were over, Soundgarden had split and Alice in Chains were hobbled by Layne Staley’s heroin habit. Pearl […]
Deftones ‘Gore’ Review: alt-metal titan’s latest rewards repeat listens. Sacramento’s Deftones have plugged away valiantly for nearly three decades, eclipsing, obliterating and transcending any affiliation with their late-90’s nu-metal peers. They’ve embraced elements of more experimental musical movements, integrating them into new and unusual shapes within their metal underpinnings. It speaks volumes to the band’s […]
Deftones SXSW 2016 @ Auditorium Shores Concert Review: Sacramento alt-metallers thrill with free last-minute show. The Deftones surprise gig at Auditorium Shores on Thursday stood out like a sore thumb against the hipster fare that preceded them, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. Thus the Austin skyline reverberated with their beautiful noise […]
SXSW 2016 Preview: This Year’s Must-See Bands. A definitive guide for the best acts (large at small) at the 30th annual Austin, TX Music Festival. By David Dierksen For those of you attending SXSW this year, we realize it can be an overwhelming task to decide which musical act demands your semi-undivided attention. And luckily […]
20 Most Anticipated Rock Albums of 2016: the must have rock releases of the New Year. 2016 has arrived, and it brings with it a year full of hotly anticipated new rock albums, from veteran and contemporary alternative and metal acts. Here’s our list of the 20 releases that have us excited the most about […]
††† Crosses Album Review; On yet another side project, Deftones frontman Chino Moreno explores 80’s friendly synth-rock with the release of the first full-length album from Crosses. It’s no secret to Deftones fans that vocalist Chino Moreno is a restless creative spirit. His love for the more delicate, electronic, European textures occasionally peeks into Deftones tunes, […]
PALMS EP Album Review (Ipecac) Palms features members of metal band Isis and Deftones frontman Chino Moreno. Their debut EP is understated and hypnotic. After such a strong album as 2012’s Koi No Yokan (click here for my review of that album), it is impressive that Deftones frontman Chino Moreno continues his creative winning streak. This time […]
Check out our list of the Best Cover Songs Of All Time… A good cover song should do one of four things: (1) radically change the song structure to bring new life to the tune. (2) strip the song structure to its basic elements to showcase the raw components that make the song compelling. (3) […]
Album Review: Deftones come back with one of their strongest albums to date with ‘Koi No Yokan’. The Deftones were in major transition when they released 2010’s Diamond Eyes. Bassist Chi Cheng was in a coma from a car accident, so they put their album Eros on hold and started fresh, working with new bassist Sergio Vega (Quicksand). It was […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Jay Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel ‘Dance Underwater’ Review July 6, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- Review: Psychic TV ‘Pagan Day’/’Allegory and Self’ Reissues July 16, 2017
- Watch The Veldt’s One Day Out of Life Video, New EP Gets Worldwide Release July 14, 2017
- SLIS: I was very glad to get these promo copies, because...
- A Chaos Fairy: *nostalgia*...
- Anon: Lou Reed Berlin & Scott Walker last three albu...
- SLIS: It's really awesome. I say that Bryan Ferry's co...
- A Chaos Fairy: Hey, Albuquerque...!...
- A Chaos Fairy: I love This Mortal Coil. Their remake of "Song to...