Tyson Meade Talks 25th Anniversary of Chainsaw Kittens Flipped Out in Singapore: a look back at a cult classic 90s alternative gem (featured image photo credit: Dylan Johnson) Norman Oklahoma’s Chainsaw Kittens were the best kept secret of 90s alternative rock. The group, led by theatrical frontman Tyson Meade, crafted an infectious mix of glam, […]
Albums Revisited: Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ Turns 25: celebrating Nirvana’s generation defining album on its 25th anniversary. I’ll never forget the fall of 1991. I had recently transferred to a new college. It was out-of-state and I didn’t know a soul. It was terrifying, but also liberating: I was far away from my folks and anyone who […]
Garbage ‘Strange Little Birds’ Review: veteran alt-rockers return with their best album since 2001’s ‘Beautiful Garbage.’ If generic 21st century pop depresses you, Shirley Manson feels your pain. The Garbage vocalist expressed her frustration with modern music in the press statement for the band’s new album Strange Little Birds: “I’m aching for some dark and dismal. Because […]
Garbage To Release 20th Anniversary Debut Album Reissue: band mark 20th birthday of début album with a deluxe special edition and 20 Years Queer Tour, both taking place in October. Last month marked the 20th anniversary of Garbage’s genre-defying self-titled début album, featuring the hits Queer, Only Happy When it Rains, and Stupid Girl. And the band […]
Smashing Pumpkins ‘Siamese Dream’ Turns 20 Years Old; A look back at an alt-rock masterpiece. This is the first in a series of Albums That Changed My Life. So Smashing Pumpkins ‘Siamese Dream‘ turned 20 last week. Good lord. I feel old. Where’d the time go? I was 22 it came out. I was also […]
Movie Review: Dave Grohl’s documentary “Sound City”, is a love letter to an iconic music studio and organic musicianship. Alt-rock icon Dave Grohl recounts Nirvana’s recording studio sessions for Nevermind in his new documentary (and directorial début) Sound City. After hearing all the hype about the legendary studio, his first reaction was underwhelming: “The place […]
Garbage Not Your Kind Of People Review My Rating Garbage are a band that challenges the notion of style vs substance. They were often derided for being an overproduced sleek amalgamation of more organic alternative music components (dream pop and trip-hop the core ingredients). But for myself and many, it’s Garbage’s lack of authenticity […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Black Needle Noise ‘Lost in Reflections’ Review July 10, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- John Fryer Talks New Black Needle Noise Album ‘Lost in Reflections’ July 24, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- SLIS: Soused was a crazy album! I forgot Walker was invo...
- SLIS: Thanks! Mayhem is another band I'm not well verse...
- The Mouth: Nor was I. I always loved Motorcycle Emptiness but...
- Kevin: I just listened to "Soused" by Scott Walker &...
- SLIS: @The Mouth: Well, look like I need to revisit the ...
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...