SXSW 2016 Interview: The Cult’s Billy Duffy Talks New Album Hidden City The Cult are back with Hidden City, their first album in four years. The release shows the band exploring more subtle and atmospheric elements, culminating in one of their most varied efforts to date. Guitarist Billy Duffy’s simmering riffs, always a highlight of […]
The Cult ‘Hidden City’ Review: veteran rockers return with their most subtle and nuanced effort to date on tenth studio album. It’s been four years since The Cult’s last album, 2012’s Choice of Weapon. Now the alternative/hard rock veterans return with Hidden City, an album that frontman Ian Astbury calls the end of a trilogy, alongside Weapon […]
The Cult Announce New Album ‘Hidden City’, Release New Song ‘Dark Energy.’ Band’s 10th studio release due early February. British Alt-rock veterans The Cult will release their new album ‘Hidden City’ on February, 5th 2016. The release will be their tenth studio album, and the fifth with longtime producer Bob Rock. They’re streaming the first single […]
Albums Revisited: The Cult’s ‘Love’ Turns 30: A look back at the breakthrough album that shaped the future of alternative rock on its 30th anniversary. By the mid 80’s, rock music had become a fractured beast: the sub-genres of glam metal, thrash, New Wave, Goth, college rock, etc, had created a confusing subculture of musical cliques. Macho hair […]
Albums Revisited: The Cult’s ‘Sonic Temple’ Turns 25. It was the album that made the Cult megastars, but it almost did them in. Last year the Cult embarked on the Electric 13 tour, where they played their rough-edged 1987 classic rock opus from start to finish. Click here for my Electric 13 Concert Tour Review […]
Albums Revisited: The Cult’s ‘Electric’ Turns 30. a look back at why The Cult’s breakthrough album set the stage for heavy alternative rock and the decline of hair metal. Note: this article was originally published in 2013: it has since been updated. Earlier this week I got a chance to see The Cult at ACL […]
The Cult turn in an electrifying ‘Electric 13’ set at ACL Live. The Cult’s ACL Live gig started on a tense note. Opening band White Hill’s meandering psych-rock went over like a lead balloon. The crowd wasn’t having it (although a drunk middle-aged dude kept yelling for the female bassist to “take off your top!” Classy.) After The […]
The Cult to announce 2013 tour dates on Monday; will perform their hit 1987 “Electric” album in its entirety. **UPDATED! Click here for my Concert Review of the Austin ACL Live show. In 2009 The Cult did the “Love Live” tour, where the band played their 80’s goth opus “Love” in its entirety, rewarding fans […]
The Top 40 Most Underrated Guitarists in Rock Part 3 Okay, so now that you’ve read part 1, and part 2, we just have 15 of the most underrated guitarists in rock to go. If you want to own any of their material, just click ontheir album image to take you to Amazon. Off we […]
The Cult Choice Of Weapon Album Review The Cult return after 6 years with their new album. How does it stack up against their back catalogue? Before I begin this review, let me state that I’m not a casual Cult fan, but a diehard devotee. So to see how this may color my […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Black Needle Noise ‘Lost in Reflections’ Review July 10, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- John Fryer Talks New Black Needle Noise Album ‘Lost in Reflections’ July 24, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- SLIS: Soused was a crazy album! I forgot Walker was invo...
- SLIS: Thanks! Mayhem is another band I'm not well verse...
- The Mouth: Nor was I. I always loved Motorcycle Emptiness but...
- Kevin: I just listened to "Soused" by Scott Walker &...
- SLIS: @The Mouth: Well, look like I need to revisit the ...
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...