35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best Albums of 1992: a list of the best alternative, metal, hip-hop, indie and experimental releases from 1992. Last year I boldly declared that 1991 was the best musical year of the 90’s. And I still stand by that. But by damn, 1992 is a very close second. Whereas […]
Concert Review: Deftones at Austin360 Amphitheater: San Diego metallers slay on a balmy night in Austin, TX. Just a little year over a year since their triumphant 2016 set at SXSW, San Diego’s Deftones returned to Austin last night–making a stop on their 2017 tour with Rise Against and Thrice. After co-headliners Rise Against finished their (with vocalist Tim […]
20 Best Chris Cornell Deep Cuts and Underrated Songs: remembering the late singer’s rich and varied back catalogue. As we continue to mourn Chris Cornell’s death, it’s easy to dwell on the morbid, but one thing that will alway burn bright and live on is his impressive body of work. And it’s not just […]
For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad: Soundgarden frontman’s death at 52 hits a tragic, yet familiar, nerve. I did not want to wake up hearing that Chris Cornell, one of the best singers of my generation has died. It didn’t seem real at first–but these things never do. It’s become a chilling, […]
Royal Thunder ‘Wick’ Review: Atlanta rockers continue refining their unique blend of moody, anthemic metal. Atlanta’s Royal Thunder proved a revelation on their 2015 release Crooked Doors. That album showed a quantum leap in development of the group’s moody and muscular brand of hard rock. It also cemented Mlny Parsonz as one of the most […]
Albums Revisited: Alice in Chains’ ‘Sap’ Turns 25: Seattle Grunge stars acoustic EP remains one of their most satisfying efforts. February 4th marks the 25th anniversary of Sap, Alice in Chains 5 song EP, which filled the gap between 1990’s Facelift and their 1992 full-length epic Dirt. And while Sap didn’t get the same attention and […]
20 Years Ago Danzig Made A Techno Album For Disney’s Record Label: remembering Blackacidevil, Glenn Danzig’s lost industrial techno album. When Glenn Danzig parted ways with his “classic lineup” in 1995 (guitarist John Christ, bassist Eerie Von and drummer Chuck Biscuits), it wasn’t on the best of terms. He would also jump ship from Rick Rubin’s American […]
Albums Revisited: Pearl Jam’s ‘Ten’ turns 25: our own Diamond Dave Dierksen looks back at the grunge underdog’s iconic début. By David Dierksen On August 27, 1991, Pearl Jam released their début record Ten. And no one really gave a shit. A little under a month later, Nirvana released Nevermind. And still, people mostly didn’t […]
Deftones ‘Gore’ Review: alt-metal titan’s latest rewards repeat listens. Sacramento’s Deftones have plugged away valiantly for nearly three decades, eclipsing, obliterating and transcending any affiliation with their late-90’s nu-metal peers. They’ve embraced elements of more experimental musical movements, integrating them into new and unusual shapes within their metal underpinnings. It speaks volumes to the band’s […]
Albums Revisited: Alice in Chains ‘Facelift’ Turns 25 On August 21st, 2015, Alice in Chains’ début album ‘Facelift‘ celebrates its 25th anniversary. Good god. Really? I feel old. It’s interesting to look back on ‘Facelift’ and see just how important it was in the scheme of 90’s alternative music. Pre-dating Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’, it helped establish […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 35 Albums Turning 25 in 2017: The Best of 1992 July 3, 2017
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- Blade Runner and The Thing Both Came Out 35 Years Ago Today June 25, 2017
- J. Yuenger Talks 25th Anniversary of White Zombie’s ‘La Sexorcisto:Devil Music Volume.1’ June 27, 2017
- Black Needle Noise ‘Lost in Reflections’ Review July 10, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- John Fryer Talks New Black Needle Noise Album ‘Lost in Reflections’ July 24, 2017
- Prong ‘Zero Days’ Review July 23, 2017
- Nine Inch Nails ‘Add Violence’ Review July 22, 2017
- A Shoreline Dream ‘Room For The Others’ Review July 21, 2017
- Remembering George Romero: 6 Underrated (Non-Zombie) Films July 17, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Guns N’ Roses ‘Appetite For Destruction’ Turns 30 July 17, 2017
- SLIS: Soused was a crazy album! I forgot Walker was invo...
- SLIS: Thanks! Mayhem is another band I'm not well verse...
- The Mouth: Nor was I. I always loved Motorcycle Emptiness but...
- Kevin: I just listened to "Soused" by Scott Walker &...
- SLIS: @The Mouth: Well, look like I need to revisit the ...
- The Mouth: I'll second the Holy Bible by the Manics. Far dar...