The Cult Choice Of Weapon Album Review The Cult return after 6 years with their new album. How does it stack up against their back catalogue? Before I begin this review, let me state that I’m not a casual Cult fan, but a diehard devotee. So to see how this may color my […]
Rampart film review. ‘Rampart’ was a film released late in 2011, in limited release to muted fanfare. This is unfortunate. Much like last year’s ‘Take Shelter’ starring Michael Shannon, this is an excellent film that deserves a larger audience and should have garnered its lead actor a best actor nom. Woody Harrelson plays the lead; […]
Garbage Not Your Kind Of People Review My Rating Garbage are a band that challenges the notion of style vs substance. They were often derided for being an overproduced sleek amalgamation of more organic alternative music components (dream pop and trip-hop the core ingredients). But for myself and many, it’s Garbage’s lack of authenticity […]
Silversun Pickups Neck Of The Woods Review *Silversun Pickups return for their 1st album since 2009. Is it any good? I tend to lament the lack of heavy rock now offered in the 2000’s/2010’s, etc. I vented about this in my first ever blog post. Younger folks may claim that there’s just too much nostalgia […]
Ted Nugent: Politics put career in ‘StrangleHold’. Ted Nugent has made an ass out of himself for decades now, but he’s been on a mad tear lately. Whether using inflammatory rhetoric on Obama’s reelection chances, willingly admitting to illegal hunting practices, or having a conniption fit in a CBS News interview, he seems to never […]
The Avengers Movie Review. My Nerdspective. My Rating “The Avengers”, Marvel Studios big budget gamble, tying 5 other tent pole films, has finally arrived, and the geekometer for this film is off the charts. When Marvel announced several years back that they were starting their own studio to have more creative control over their […]
Killing Joke MMXII Album Review Killing Joke is that rare band that seems to get better as they age. They never seem complacent and still have energy and vigor to spare, unlike many artists who tend to phone it in after losing their focus and initial success. Their unique sonic stew, a mix of […]
Beastie Boys Adam Yauch Dies at 47 Adam Yauch , the cofounder of the legendary hip-hop act the Beastie Boys, passed away today after losing his struggle with cancer. He was 47. Known better by his stage name MCA, Yauch’s gravelly voice was the icing on the cake for many Beastie’s classics, perfectly […]
The Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock It’s easy to pinpoint your favorite vocalists. Lung power, pitch and emotion make identification easy. And not every song needs great lyrics. There are plenty of great songs where wordplay is negligible at best. But when you can find a song whose words hit you deeply, you’re […]
Watch the Dark Knight Rises New Trailer Warner Bros. has released the newest trailer for Christopher Nolan’s epic conclusion to his Batman trilogy. Check it out at Gizmodo here. To say it has me agonized in anticipation is an understatement. We get more of Bane (he sounds more intelligible now and less muffled) and Selena […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977 October 21, 2017
- I Don’t Care if Kids Today Don’t Care About ‘Blade Runner 2049’ October 13, 2017
- Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin November 8, 2017
- Albums Revisited: INXS ‘Kick’ Turns 30 October 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s November 13, 2017
- John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More November 15, 2017
- Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review December 18, 2017
- Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review December 6, 2017
- Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’ December 4, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets November 24, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets November 21, 2017
- The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review November 19, 2017
- SLIS: Those are all some good ones! Trail of Dead were a...
- r: This list is pretty tame if Hootie and the Blowfis...
- SLIS: I'm drawing a blank..but it sounds like Ultraman ...
- James: What hero would do arm motion and say "the end" ...
- SLIS: Jon,I totally agree. I haven't kept up with The...
- Jon Reade: A staggeringly good album, one of their greats. I ...