20 bad rock songs that I hate: I find it so interesting how music is so subjective. How is it that a song can be loved by as many people as it disgusts? Why are our ears so differently attuned as to what’s bad and good? I’d love to see some sort of scientific […]
The Cult Choice Of Weapon Album Review The Cult return after 6 years with their new album. How does it stack up against their back catalogue? Before I begin this review, let me state that I’m not a casual Cult fan, but a diehard devotee. So to see how this may color my […]
Rampart film review. ‘Rampart’ was a film released late in 2011, in limited release to muted fanfare. This is unfortunate. Much like last year’s ‘Take Shelter’ starring Michael Shannon, this is an excellent film that deserves a larger audience and should have garnered its lead actor a best actor nom. Woody Harrelson plays the lead; […]
Garbage Not Your Kind Of People Review My Rating Garbage are a band that challenges the notion of style vs substance. They were often derided for being an overproduced sleek amalgamation of more organic alternative music components (dream pop and trip-hop the core ingredients). But for myself and many, it’s Garbage’s lack of authenticity […]
Silversun Pickups Neck Of The Woods Review *Silversun Pickups return for their 1st album since 2009. Is it any good? I tend to lament the lack of heavy rock now offered in the 2000’s/2010’s, etc. I vented about this in my first ever blog post. Younger folks may claim that there’s just too much nostalgia […]
Ted Nugent: Politics put career in ‘StrangleHold’. Ted Nugent has made an ass out of himself for decades now, but he’s been on a mad tear lately. Whether using inflammatory rhetoric on Obama’s reelection chances, willingly admitting to illegal hunting practices, or having a conniption fit in a CBS News interview, he seems to never […]
The Avengers Movie Review. My Nerdspective. My Rating “The Avengers”, Marvel Studios big budget gamble, tying 5 other tent pole films, has finally arrived, and the geekometer for this film is off the charts. When Marvel announced several years back that they were starting their own studio to have more creative control over their […]
Killing Joke MMXII Album Review Killing Joke is that rare band that seems to get better as they age. They never seem complacent and still have energy and vigor to spare, unlike many artists who tend to phone it in after losing their focus and initial success. Their unique sonic stew, a mix of […]
Beastie Boys Adam Yauch Dies at 47 Adam Yauch , the cofounder of the legendary hip-hop act the Beastie Boys, passed away today after losing his struggle with cancer. He was 47. Known better by his stage name MCA, Yauch’s gravelly voice was the icing on the cake for many Beastie’s classics, perfectly […]
The Top 15 Lyricists in Alternative Rock It’s easy to pinpoint your favorite vocalists. Lung power, pitch and emotion make identification easy. And not every song needs great lyrics. There are plenty of great songs where wordplay is negligible at best. But when you can find a song whose words hit you deeply, you’re […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- For Generation X, Chris Cornell’s Death Is Infuriatingly Sad May 18, 2017
- The Cure’s ‘Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me’ Turns 30: Ranking The Songs May 16, 2017
- Albums Revisited: The Cure’s ‘Wish’ Turns 25 April 19, 2017
- Kilbey Kennedy ‘Glow and Fade’ Review May 31, 2017
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Is a Beautiful Thing April 16, 2017
- Steve Kilbey Talks New Kilbey Kennedy Album Glow and Fade, The Church and More May 31, 2017
- Cheap Trick ‘We’re All Alright’ Review June 20, 2017
- Concert Review: L.A. Guns at Texas Mist June 18, 2017
- Concert Review: The Revolution Celebrates Prince’s Legacy at ACL Live June 18, 2017
- Ride ‘Weather Diaries’ Review June 14, 2017
- RIP Adam West: Thanks For Making My Childhood Awesome June 10, 2017
- Albums Revisited: Faith No More’s ‘Angel Dust’ Turns 25 June 5, 2017
- SLIS: I have to admit I've never heard it! I know the n...
- KJ: Eleanor Rigby by Godhead is one of the greatest co...
- Doug: I'm with you on both of those. Lou Reed gets over...
- SLIS: Agreed Antje! It's magnificent....
- Antje Babatz: Take any album I ever owned away from me please - ...
- SLIS: Thanks Eytan! Glad you enjoyed--and that things tu...