The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets–exploring the best deluxe editions, CD Box Sets and Vinyl reissues in alternative, classic rock, soundtracks and more. Well it’s that time again: to stuff yourself with turkey first, and then get prepared for your holiday shopping for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and beyond. And if you’re […]
Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review: New Jersey metallers concoct a weird and wonderful mix of ...
Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review: Seattle duo make a rock sound as huge as their album title. ...
Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’: Downtown Bookworks ...
The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets: the best superhero, sci-fi, ...
The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review: North American Shoegazers wow on new EP featuring contributions from Cocteau Twins Robin Guthrie and more. “Soulgaze” pioneers The Veldt have had a flurry of activity in 2017, from the worldwide release of their 2016 Ep The Shocking Fuzz of Your Electric Fur: The Drake Equation […]
John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More: iconic filmmaker composer gives the scoop on his new album, recent tour, upcoming Halloween sequel and much more in our exclusive interview. John Carpenter occupies a truly unique place in the pop culture landscape. He’s not just one of the most revered genre filmmakers, but […]
Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s: Texas rockers refuse to mellow with age with high energy Austin show. The Toadies set at Stubb’s last Friday proves why they’re still going on strong where so many of their Lone Star State contemporaries have faded into the woodwork. The band’s set pulled from their entire discography, including their […]
Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin: Scottish noise-pop icons flattened eardrums in fine style. Full admission: I don’t wear earplugs to concerts. I know, I know–I’ll pay for it when I’m older (yes I know I’m already old…shut up), but it takes me out of the moment when I wanna rock […]
Primitive Race ‘Soul Pretender’ Review: supergroup gets stylistic facelift on sophomore album. When Primitive Race formed in 2013, it was an industrial supergroup of revolving members cultivated by band mastermind Chris Knikr. Things have changed on their latest release Soul Pretender, (out November 3rd on Metropolis Records). The group have undergone a sonic makeover more […]
Tyson Todd Meade ‘Robbing The Nuclear Family’ Review: mastermind behind Defenestration and Chainsaw Kittens unique vision still thrills on new release. My art is dedicated to those other fringe dwellers and friends of fringe dwellers, those who want something beyond reality TV, casino gambling, car payments, 401k, church on Sunday, family portraits on the mantle. […]
UPDATED 11/10/2017: I have just been informed that Chuck Mosley has died. As far as I know, this may be the last interview he participated in. I truly enjoyed chatting with him, and found him to be a gentle, kind soul who seemed to have turned a corner in his career. I’m deeply saddened to […]
30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977: from punk to metal to electronic music, ’77 was one of the most pivotal years in music history. Here are the 30 best albums from four decades ago. By SLIS and Peter Marks This Saturday marks two major musical milestones–the 40th anniversaries of two […]
Concert Review: Lords of Acid at Elysium: raunchy electronic music titans bring down the house in Austin, TX. It was a pleasantly cool Wednesday evening in Austin, but if you were at Elysium, it was steamy. The humidity in the goth hangout befitted horn-dog headliners Lords of Acid (echoed by attendees wearing glowing devil-horn headbands). The show […]
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- 30 Rock Albums Turning 40 in 2017: The Best of 1977 October 21, 2017
- I Don’t Care if Kids Today Don’t Care About ‘Blade Runner 2049’ October 13, 2017
- Concert Review: The Jesus and Mary Chain at Emo’s, Austin November 8, 2017
- Albums Revisited: INXS ‘Kick’ Turns 30 October 17, 2017
- Concert Review: Toadies At Stubb’s November 13, 2017
- John Carpenter Talks New Album Anthology, Halloween Sequel and More November 15, 2017
- Black Wail ‘Chromium Homes’ Review December 18, 2017
- Hobosexual ‘Monolith’ Review December 6, 2017
- Book Review: DC Comics’ ‘Color Me Powerful’ and ‘Awesome Activities for Super Heroes’ December 4, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Blu-ray and DVD Box Sets November 24, 2017
- The SLIS 2017 Holiday Gift Guide: Music Box Sets November 21, 2017
- The Veldt ‘Thanks to the Moth and Areanna Rose’ Review November 19, 2017
- SLIS: Those are all some good ones! Trail of Dead were a...
- r: This list is pretty tame if Hootie and the Blowfis...
- SLIS: I'm drawing a blank..but it sounds like Ultraman ...
- James: What hero would do arm motion and say "the end" ...
- SLIS: Jon,I totally agree. I haven't kept up with The...
- Jon Reade: A staggeringly good album, one of their greats. I ...